Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Antonio at the Golf Course

This took place a while back, but I was reminded of it a few days ago and it is definitely blog worthy especially if you know Antonio.

Stage: Before Giancarlo was born I took Antonio to the driving range while Angelo was sleeping so that Misty could have a little alone time. What ensued was one of those experiences where you feel like pulling your hair out before you understand it from a 4 year old's point of view.

I had an old putter and seven iron both cut down to Antonio's size so that he would have real clubs to play with. He chose the grips from Golf Galaxy and they installed it before his very eyes. We then took the clubs to our local golf course and began on the putting green. I attempted to teach him the proper mechanics of putting. Talk about a waste of time! He didn't listen to a thing I said except "Make the ball go into the hole." He got that part...everything else was lost. His mindset and putting stroke both closely resemble Happy Gilmore. After about 5 minutes I finally gave up and left him to his own devices. Enter Antonio "Wayne Gretzky" Gallizzi the horse-riding legionnaire. He would gallop around the putting green stopping only to "sword-fight with the bad guys" and then occasionally try to hit a slap shot into the hole. More often than not the "putt" would go clear across the green and roll down the bank to the cart path that runs behind the green. Luckily we were the only people on the green so I didn't have to worry about him shooting balls at other golfers.

After the putting green we decided to go to the driving range and I reminded Antonio to pick up his putter and 7-iron so that he wouldn't lose them. I led the way and when I looked back I only saw him carrying his iron, but the putter was nowhere in sight. I asked him where his putter was and using his thumb he pointed behind him back towards the putting green. I got very frustrated and asked him why he left his putter on the green when I just told him to pick it up. He then explained that he didn't leave it there. So I asked him "why did you point back at the green then?" He said "I didn't...it's back here!" he exclaimed as he turned around and I saw the putter tucked into the back of his shirt as if it were a sword. I almost died laughing and I had trouble composing myself on the tee box for the next five minutes or so.

The rest of the day is a bit hazy but I will never forget my son striding towards the driving range with a 7-iron in hand and a putter tucked into his shirt. It is classic Antonio memory that will be etched in my memory forever.

No comments: