Friday, July 16, 2010

Shopping for School Supplies

I don't want to go on a rant about shopping for school supplies, but I had to witness an exercise in ridiculousness yesterday that was beyond comparison.

First we had to deal with THE LIST! I have no idea who puts this list together but I guarantee that the person is getting a kick back from Crayola. THE LIST called for 4 packages of the 8-packs of crayons...about $1 each. It also called for 2 packages of 16-packs of crayons...about $1.50 each. All totaled just short of $7 on Crayons. This was exacerbated by the fact that on the next shelf down were Crayola brand 24-packs of crayons for $.30 each. Not a typo...thirty freaking cents. Now I'm not a math major but I can multiply 3 packs of 24 = 72 crayons for less than $1. For those of you keeping count 4 packs of 8 (32) plus 2 packs of 16 (32) only equals 64, so keep in mind I'm getting 8 fewer crayons here. Why on earth do I have to purchase 6 packages of crayons for $7. I thought about it and the best idea I can come up with is that they want the major colors from the 8-packs and some supplements from the 16-packs. So my thought was this...buy 6 24-packs for $1.80 and throw the ones they don't want in the trash. School gets what it wants and I save $5 on crayons. Home schooling is starting to look more appealing every day.

To compound my Crayola induced cerebral aneurysm we had the whole family shopping for school supplies which under ordinary circumstances shouldn't be an issue, but since this is a first I had to put up with the "Why does Antonio get that and I don't" from Angelo. We explained that it was simply Antonio's first year of school and that next year it would be Angelo's turn. It lessened the whining, but didn't eliminate it completely. Then Angelo decides he needs to potty...luckily the school supplies are right next to the restrooms at our local Wal-Mart. Then Angelo decides he must do #2. I tell him absolutely not...I will permit #1 only but I'm enforcing a strict no-solids rule for the duration of the shopping experience. Why do my children feel the need to use the facilities whenever we are in public? It is almost as if their inclination to use the restroom increases with others' usage. Example: they only somewhat have to potty at the Library, but they have a stronger urge at McDonald's, and can't resists at Wal-Mart or Costco. I don't think they will be satisfied until they have tested all public facilities in a 10-mile radius from our house. But I digress...

Continuing our shopping experience. Glue Sticks = check, folders = check, notebook = check. Where's the construction paper? Over there. No we're looking for different construction paper. Specifically looking for 11X24 sheets of colored construction paper, you know the one that is only stocked at the very back of the store. Is it me or is THE LIST overly specific? So we finally find ourselves among the office supplies and stationery and I point at a package of construction paper and ask Misty if that is 11X24...to which she replies it isn't. Antonio then says "will you guys stop arguing?" No joke...our kids have never seen an argument from their parents...mainly because we just don't have arguments. Misty and I found humor in Antonio's flawed interpretation of an argument. In any event we found our construction paper and then headed to the checkout. The only open place was the self-checkout lane, so Mommy stayed behind to scan and pay while I grabbed the boys and beat feet to the car. We have to divide and conquer most times to avoid implosions.


All I can say is that our first school supply shopping experience was interesting to say the least. I think I'll keep the kids at home next time and let Mommy do the shopping.

No comments: